Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Industry in a Lazy Summer

If this is the life that I have to look forward to as a math professor, then I certainly could have chosen a worse profession. My one class of the summer ended over a month ago, and since then I've had little to do other than take care of daily affairs and study. Not even marriage has changed the ease of the summer to which I have become accustomed over the last twenty years.

I feel sometimes like I should find more constructive uses of my time, at least while I have so much time to spare. And I don't mean to say that I've been doing nothing but playing video games and relaxing (although there has been plenty of both). I did help mow the lawn of a member of our church recently, and I'm making a dessert for someone else today. And, of course, there have been the dishes, the bed-making, the cleaning of the apartment, and the taking care of bills and other duties.

And it's not like I haven't tried to find work, but unfortunately, no one seems to want a tutor this summer. Maybe I'm finally starting to see the effects of the weak economy myself. Too bad, too. We could have used the extra money.

So, I'm not feeling really guilty, or anything, but I don't want to spend all my time enjoying myself without doing anything constructive. Maybe I can look for a few more opportunities to do something now, while I have time. Because sure enough I'll be busy once the fall semester starts.

Only one more year until my PhD (I hope)!

3 comments:

  1. I would hope you would be making a "dessert" instead of a "desert".

    ReplyDelete
  2. What on earth are you talking about?

    ReplyDelete
  3. So long as you don't start making gum wrapper chains.

    ReplyDelete