Monday, September 5, 2011

A Rainy Labor Day

Well, this is exactly what I told myself I wouldn't do when I decided to start blogging again. I've gone and left my blog dormant for almost a month. And now I find myself unsure of what to say, but dead sure I'm going to say it. Ready or not!

The official schedule for my graduation and long-awaited end of my college studies is that I should now be finished in about two years. I'd decided a while back that the year that I'd been telling people I had left was probably not enough time, but I'd still hoped I could be done in a year and a half. Well, I'll be staying a student a little while longer than I'd thought, but it's not all bad. There are actually several positives, including:
  • I now won't feel as pressured as I would if I'd had to do all my research and finish my dissertation in only a year.
  • Another year as a student means another year to buy Alabama season tickets. This is especially nice since I forgot all about them this year.
  • Rebecca's got another couple of years to finish her degree regardless of when I finish, so it looks like the timing will work better this way.
  • I won't have to cut my Star Wars role playing campaign short like I'd thought I might.
And I'm sure I could list more, but I won't.

Seattle's Best coffee is NOT the best Seattle has to offer, by the way. I should know.

Just finished Metroid: Other M today. Despite a LOT of negativity from the fans, as well as the game falling short of its expected sales by a few million copies, it's actually a very good game. Now, it's still near the very bottom on my list of Metroid games, but that only shows how good Metroid as a series has been.

An interesting bit about this game: from the very beginning, there have been people calling out the game as "sexist" due to the portrayal of the lead character, who is a woman. I'm very glad to say that this is not at all the case. The claims of sexism are actually due to some bad writing in the game, a clash between the game's portrayal of who the character is and the fans' preconceived ideas about her, and possibly (in some cases) some over-sensitivity on the critics' part.

Oh, and back to my dissertation: I now know what I'm writing about. But, there's little sense in explaining it, since it wouldn't make sense to most anyone reading my blog. We'll just say it's a Corona theorem problem, and leave it at that. But I'm pretty excited to finally know what I'll be researching.

I risk losing readers if I go any further, so I'll go ahead and end this post.

-Caleb

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad to know that you've chosen a dissertation topic! I bet that is a relief, indeed. I hope it's got you excited.

    ReplyDelete